Saturday, June 8, 2013

roma!

GIORNO VENTISEI

I have been waiting for this day for a long time because on today's agenda we were to visit the Coliseum!  I have seen pictures of me from our 1999 family vacation of us there and I wanted to re-visit to remind myself that, "yes, you have been here before!"

So, we woke up fairly early... a little rough after getting in pretty late last night and we went down to the hotel lobby for breakfast.  It was sub-par, but I was just happy I brought food from Firenze with me to eat throughout the day.  Because I definitely can't go one minute without eating!  Seriously.  After breakfast, we all set out on a short walk to the arches of the Coliseum!  It is so cool to think how old the structure truly is and what went on in there during that time period.  This massive rink was built in about 80 AD for fighting; animals, humans, gladiators, you name it.  I don't know if you have seen "Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase," but it was pretty accurate if you ask me.  They really portrayed the gladiator and animal interaction well.  Although it has been massively restored and restructured in places to keep it standing, parts of the original white-marble columns remain.

As time went on, people needed the pieces of the Coliseum for building purposes, so people began stealing chunks of it... casual theft of Coliseum.  No big deal.  Allora, there was eventually an earth quake that massively destroyed the back side of the Coliseum, removing a large portion of the outer rings.  Bad at the time, but super amazing now because tourists like me get to gawk at it!       
 
1999


2013: haven't changed

1999

2013: haven't changed
We almost got it!
We scampered around the Coliseum, loving all the history and perfectness of it all.  I could have spent all day there, but we had to leave to head to the Forums.  I sort of actually remember the Forums.  I don't know why, but I remember strange and not the best parts of my trip... In the Forums, I specifically remember being chased by a giant horsefly and I tried to hide from it.  Don't ask.  The ruins were actually really cool!  I liked the history behind each of the hiding structures, how the ground had changed with excavation and years of usage, and what/who lived in them.  Emily knew all the facts too... that girl knew EVERYTHING about what was going on.  She called out the names of all the ancient people before the tour guide even said anything... what?!? 

Right after we finished up at the Forums and filled up our water bottles at the conveniently placed water fountains near Capitol Hill, Tarah, Savannah, and Christina called to tell us to meet them at the train station to catch the one pm train to the Tivoli Gardens.  Yes... I will answer the question that you are burning to ask, that is EXACTLY where Lizzie Maguire went with Paolo in the Lizzie Maguire Movie, and yes, it was perfect!  But first, Danielle and I practically sprinted to the train station on the other side of town, sweating like crazy (for the first time in Italy yet), after getting lost, like four times!!  This city is confusing!

Lizzie Maguire ran here... with Paolo
So... we roll up to the train station: me fanning myself, my tongue sticking out, and beads of sweat rolling everywhere.  Rough.  IMPORTANT NOTE: if young teenaged boys and girls come up to you and ask if you need help... YOU DON'T!  They try to distract you and then steal your money.  Also, if you pay with cash they try to steal your change from the dispenser.  They pretend to be pregnant, but we saw behind the disguise!  Never trust a pregnant fourteen and a half year-old with a round pillow in her belly.  NOT TRUE!  She looked like she had a baby bump like Amy Poehler in "Baby Mama..."  Not that tricky girl.

So yeah, the gardens.  We rode the train forty minutes outside of Roma to Tovoli, which was a cute, but small (emphasis on the small) town.  We walked to the bus station and then took sketchy bus with driver who looked about seventeen to the gardens.  We got in for FREE with our FUA ID cards because we are "studying" art here in Firenze.  That won't get old.

The gardens were really cool and beautiful!  There were beautiful trees, fountains, statues, and planters.  The weather was great and we burst into the songs that Lizzie and Paolo sang together in the movie... Not well, but we did!  It was awesome and so different.  We also could have spent the entire day there, but everyone was getting pretty hungry since we hadn't eaten since breakfast.

We took the sketchy bus back up the hill, of course getting off at the wrong stop and walked to some restaurants before settling on this quaint one by the river.  We sat down and the waiter came up to ask us what we wanted.  He told us what they offered and it did not match the menu at all.  The menu said eight euro for lasagna, NOT fifteen.  Trying to steal our money... not up in here.  Especially not with Tarah around.  She got the point across and we got our lasagna for eight euro.  1-0 Tarah.  Nice try waiter.  It is so weird here that businesses just don't seem to care whether or not they get your business.  They almost treat you rudely.  Since there is no tip, they don't have to be nice.  They require a service charge and it is automatic, so there is no customer service... it just doesn't exist.  Even at dinner the other night, we had to ask for everything.  They don't work unless you ask them to... awkward.  They should want a good reputation.  I mean word of mouth is key.      
  

After lunch we walked back to the train station for our ride back to Roma.  I fell asleep on the seven minute train from one Roma station to the other if that tells you how exhausted I was... At the hotel we had about forty-five minutes to shower and get ready before dinner.  We ate at another pretty decent restaurant right down the street and they even provided wine.  I didn't have any because the meal was so filling, but it was just a nice gesture!  My favorite part, no surprise here, was the dessert, which was this odd looking, but so good.  I don't know what it was, but I was obviously happy about it.  It looked like flan, but don't be fooled.

Anyway... I was out like a light the minute I hit that pillow!

Buononotte!







I WILL WRITE MY TODAY'S POST TOMORROW!

No comments:

Post a Comment