Saturday, September 28, 2013

biggest moments.

Big/Little reveal Round 3: I am not quite the biggest, but I am far from the littlest.  I am a grandbig with an infinite legacy above me & a growing legacy below me.  It is interesting to think that I could have a great-great-great... great-grandbig dating all the way back to Kappa Kappa Gamma's founding year here at Florida in 1978.  Isn't that strange to think about... that there are members of your sorority chain out there & you don't even know it?  Can you imagine how many Gs they must have?  One of Kappa's finest mottos is, "It's not just 4 years, it's for life," & seeing my own great-grandbig return with 4Gs on her hat makes me so happy & makes that statement true.

With each passing year I raise higher & higher on the totem & my number of Gs on my hat goes up & up.  This year marks my first G.  & it only goes up from there.  Don't worry, I'm not reminiscing in the past because I know we are "living in the moment," but when did I get so old?  I'm almost a real person... oops!

Well anyway, big/little reveal is always one of my favorite events because all the families dress up & show off their individualistic & amazing personalities through a family theme, but most importantly, they make hats.  In our family, the hats are different every year to match our theme, & some families fall to tradition & wear the same hats every year!  The hats draw the littlest ones to her rightful owners in a way that says, you are now one of us... Welcome to the HOT MESS Family!  Yep, we are an eclectic bunch & we wear tacky tourist clothes on Thursdays... you can't sit with us!  

Aren't we cool?

I feel like you are in a "state of limbo" before you get your big because you don't really have any real/personal direction yet, but once you join a family, you have so many mentors that truly treat you like family.  It is an unconditional love.  For me, it wasn't until big/little reveal when I was reunited with my big, Danielle, & my twin, Alex, when I felt at home at Kappa.  They all made me feel so special & so loved that I couldn't imagine any other experience. 



And then of course, getting your own little just makes you even more connected because now you are a role model for someone else; a friend & family.  Alyssa is my perfect little & now it is her turn to be the perfect big! 

"It's the LITTLE moments in life that make the BIG difference."

I'm going to get cheesy now (I know Danielle wouldn't mind ;)), but "once you go Kappa, you can't go backa."

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment