Saturday, October 5, 2013

birthday bex.

This is a story of a Floridian meeting a Bristolian & how they became family.

I am going to start off this post with a big HAPPY 22nd BIRTHDAY to my socially awesome, happy & smiley, traveling obsessed, & friendliest friend, Bex!  I hope you have a great birthday with lots of family, friends, fun, & favorites!  Wish I could be there to celebrate it with you!  You deserve the best day ever!

Well... I will start the story now.  In 2009 my "real" family & I went on a cruise to Scandinavia (I know... casual), anyway, if you have ever been on a Royal Caribbean Cruise before than you'd know that there is a section on the ship for a club of teenagers called "fuel," where I found myself a lot.  I didn't know many people, & for 2 whole weeks I was forced to be social & meet new people.  Going on a European cruise truly helps you meet people from all over the world: Canada, South America, & mostly... you guessed it, Europe!  I really enjoyed getting to know everyone & I liked them all a lot, but you know how it ends... "blah blah blah, I hope to see you again someday/let's get together another time" (embrace), & you walk off thinking, I will NEVER see those people again!  Usually you're right, but sometimes you're not......

Our only picture together from the cruise... rough, but reality 2009

6 months goes by & thoughts about the cruise have waned, leaving me a normal kid once again until one day I got a facebook message from my friend Bex from the cruise explaining her huge plans to visit the United States over the summer & wondering if she could stay a few nights here along the way.  I asked my mom & surprisingly she complied, but as the dates began to get closer & closer, she became more worried that Bex could be a mass serial killer planning a heist along the East Coast.  The truth is... she never actually thought Bex would make the journey over here.  But once again... Bex proved us wrong & she flew into Orlando with a new doo, a bright red pack, knee highs with converses, more color than anyone around, flailing her arms, & with no serial killing on the mind!  She was here & she was awesome!

I have to admit... I was a little worried myself since I had never hung out with her unless there were 475464 other people there too.  I couldn't help, but wonder... would we get along?
        
2010: Bristolian attacks Florida with enthusiasm

Well... the answer is, yes we did & so did she & my parents, & she & my friends, & she & my pets, & she & EVERYONE!  You can't not like this girl.  & that is how she became my Bristolian sister & my mom became her "American mum."  We kayaked, mini-golfed & had batting practice, wind surfed, ate Hershey bars & Butterfingers, swam, tanned, & everything that is apparently "American" & needed to be crossed off the bucket list.  Most importantly... Bex taught us a few things.  The chicken is the most dangerous animal in Europe.  OKAY!  Stop picturing giant, evil, human devouring chickens with huge claws & menacing snarls... we were talking about salmonella, duhhh.  & no... that is NOT what I pictured when I heard this bizarre remark!  Well...     

Did I mention a week later she met us again in New York for a short time?  Well she did.  You can't help but admire someone with the guts & personality to fly half way across the world to meet up & backpack with people you just barely know.  More than admiration... wonder.
 
Me, American Mum, Bristolian Sister taking on the Big Apple
So the summer passed & Bex & I stayed in touch reasonably well planning our next summer's adventures.  It was my turn to check out her digs & since I know "knew" someone in England, I could travel alone.  Again... you don't think that plans would solidify, but they did & I traveled to Bristol in 2011 to visit Bex & her home.

2011: Bath

We went EVERYWHERE! It was awesome to travel around England with Bex & her mum, meet her friends, & learn the hip lingo.  We went to Bath, where I coined the rather (I thought) impressive phrase "Bex, Bath, & Beyond," we saw Stonehenge & thought about alien intervention, saw the city where my family is supposedly from, & went to see the double feature of Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 2.  Yep.  It was a good time.  Again... most importantly, Bex doesn't lie. Chickens really are dangerous!!  Who would have guessed? 1-0 Bex.

That vacation ended with Bex & I closer than ever.  We made a deal we would plan on seeing each other every year at least once for as long as we could keep it up.  In a way, we are pen-pals because we keep in contact: sometimes through letters, mostly through facebook, & annually in person.  It is hard to stay in contact with people sometimes, but that is what is so amazing about having a friend like Bex... she makes the world seem small.

And that's when she decided to study abroad in Mississippi (pronounced Missipee) & became a Southerner.  Did they play quidditch in the South?  Well... Bex did.  Bex did it all & became a true Southern Miss Golden Eagle.  "To the Top!"  She just never slows down!

And luckily... since she was so close, it was easy to plan a vacation over Christmas Break to Colorado.  & Bex came too!  Wouldn't want to have it any other way.  It's funny... because my brother Scott also met us out there & he had never actually met Bex before, but said, "It feels like I already have."  That's just the way Bex is.  You just feel like you know her even when you don't. 

2012: Snowmass, Colorado
After just barely making it in 2012, Bex made a trip down to Gainesville in 2013 on her way down to the Quidditch World Cup in Orlando.  We even wore matching shirts & toured our way around campus taking pictures as Gators.

2013

So far... 5 years... 5 visits... 0 murders... 10990394754 memories.

As I told you up front: this is a story about how Bex became family & I'd like to make one last shout out to her for being one amazing person!  Thanks for being such a great friend/sister all these years & Happy Birthday!

Love,
Rachele

No comments:

Post a Comment