Saturday, November 30, 2013

thanksgivukkah.

Happy Thanksgiving Break everyone!  But more importantly, Happy Thanksgivukkah!


Thanksgiving formally began(ish) way back when the Puritans were running the New World & when the most important part of the year was the harvest.  In honor of the goods of the year, the Pilgrims prepared a feast.

This is real.
Now, as an elementary schooler you probably remember that you would always have a Thanksgiving pageant, where you would get assigned a part in a play as a pilgrim or a Indian... you know, wearing that traditional bonnet & long skirt garb.  You probably also had to sing a few songs & finish off the event with a giant feast with an awesome, inedible turkey at the center.  & of course, it wouldn't be the Thanksgiving Day play without the beautiful friendship that was formed between the Indians and the Pilgrims & saying all you are thankful for.
  

But did that actually happen?  Did the Indians & the Pilgrims actually sit down to a civilized meal in Plymouth in about 1621 because of the awesome harvest?  Were the Indians really happy that their land was being invaded & that they were catching diseases from Europe?

I mean... I guess they still had that RIDICULOUSLY GREAT harvest to be thankful for, so it was worth it, & honestly... I am just glad we do celebrate it because I have a lot to be thankful for & it is nice to dedicate a day for how lucky we all truly are.


1.  I am thankful for my brothers, who are always there for me.  We may have had our disagreements growing up, but as kids go, we were pretty awesome.  I loved growing up with you guys even though I don't remember it all since my memory is a failure, but I know there were some amazing times in there.  Like the time we built the fort in Daniel's room, while Jerry was painting the walls to look like blue jeans, or all the times we played "monster under the blanket," or the times I volunteered to be Scott's personal slave so he would like me.  I mean... life would have been pretty boring without you 2 around.  Thank you for being my siblings & loving me as your "baby blister."  (Yes... I did say blister.  Don't ask... but if you want to ask, ask Daniel).


2. I am thankful for my mom, who is MY BEST FRIEND & the greatest mom that has ever existed.  She always goes above & beyond in all circumstances to make me & the rest of my family happy.  She is the role model that I strive to emulate & she is the goofiest in the most perfect of ways.  I love you & am truly thankful for you every day because you treat me like royalty even when I don't deserve it or for no reason at all.  The truth is, you are the queen & we should be treating you like royalty.  <3

3. I am thankful for my DAD, who is probably one of the most selfless humans I have ever met.  All he cares about is the happiness of his family.  Growing up my dad would bring me a glass of water EVERY night before I went to bed (the truth is... he still does it when I am home from school) & when I was younger, he would read me a bedtime story... usually "Bread & Jam for Francis" or "Where's Mickey's Red Ball."  My dad was the "monster under the blanket" as well as the "monster in the water," but he is no monster at all.  Thank you for your wonderful spirit & dedication to us.  I always say... if you had asked my dad as a child, "what do you want to be when you grow up" he would have responded with: "a father."  You are probably the best father out there. 

& 4. I am thankful for the role models I have in my mom & her 2 sisters.  They may fight & get in arguments over stupid things.  They may cry. They may get defensive & stressed out, but I know they are always there for one another.  These 3 women have some of the best memories together: the trips from Hong Kong to the states during the hot, Florida summers, the vacations in Chicago, AFRICA, watching the nieces & nephews grow up, throwing parties on the forbidden white carpet (even though Phyllis caught you), crying out for your younger sister in the night because the darkness is scary, sharing clothes (unwillingly), taking Phyllis to the Academy Awards & us watching it (& you) on TV, going to each others' weddings, the Goldsmith on a Quiet Street that NEVER existed, Tybee Island, laughing at each other, taking silly pictures, being confidants, being role models, learning stuff from one another, being "so glad we married Fred," flying from California all the time, & just being the perfect set of 3 Musketeers.  You always hear about how sisters lose touch as adults & rarely see one another, but not these sisters.  Almost without fail these 3 talk at least once a week & share a special bond.  I know this may sound cheesy, but it's the truth.  Life is hard & sadly, people tend to respect their family & close friends less than strangers.  You just get comfortable & forget to take a second to show how important they are to you.  I am so proud to have these 3 in my life because I hope to be half as amazing at keeping in touch with my brothers as they are with one another.  They are 3 incredible, independent women, who have all taught me amazing things.  I wouldn't be who I am today without the "fun Aunt," who called my "Butterfly Princess Heart Flower" until I was 3636454, the "silly Aunt," who always has something comical to say & the "perfect Mom," who taught me the importance of sibling bonding.  I may be partial to the latter, but without the other 2, you just don't have the Goldsmiths.  The LOVE is there... just don't forget.  & especially don't forget to "live in the moment" because you only get 1 family.

Maybe we can all learn a little something from the Puritans & the Indians circa 1621... even if that friendship wasn't real.
  
Ciao & Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment