Saturday, November 9, 2013

homecoming.

JUST 2 OLD HIPPIES
Homecoming... aka the week of festivities where us sorority gals get to dress our best for an entire week straight.  Homecoming is truly a tradition of welcoming back the alumni from years past, but of course, Greek Life has transformed that tradition into one GIANT social.  It's just another reason to put on your hippie outfit, throw up those peace signs, & wear non-prescription glasses for no purpose whatsoever... it just makes life more interesting.  

This year was probably my favorite experience with homecoming because I actually had the opportunity to participate in the events!  You know you do it right when you get all dressed up, you dance like a crazy person with a group of your favorite sorority sisters, you get home super late, sleep 5 minutes, & turn around & do it again... (homecoming week in a nutshell).

Growing up I always had a fascination with dressing up... you know, stealing your mom's costume jewelry for a fancy tea party or finding your great-great-great grandmothers mothball smelling dresses in the back closet to drape over you when playing house.  Then of course there is Halloween... who didn't go all out for that gem of a holiday?  It was a holiday invented for us kids to let our inner freak fly outside the comfort of our own homes. Wait... am I talking about kids here or college students?  Maybe they're one in the same?  The content may have aged, but the idea most definitely has not.

I know I'm not the only girl out there who would play dress up like 47483754 times a day as a little kid & I know I'm not the only girl out there who STILL does this, often.  So... I will bring up this burning question that everyone else has been thinking too (I know you are, don't deny it)... Why is dressing up so fun? 

The answer is... I HAVE NO IDEA.  It is just fun.  Even you guys like to do it too.  Socials prove it all... sometimes they are the ones who even get most into the nightly themes.  & the truth is, it is funny because there is so much hype about Halloween each year, but when you're in a sorority, almost every week is Halloween, but it just never seems to get old.

WOODSTOCK
TAMPA DINNER CRUISE

So after a whole week of non-stop "dress up," I wrapped up the weekend most perfectly with a Gator Game... even though we lost & we aren't doing so hot this year, it is ALWAYS "great to be a Florida Gator."  Especially when I get a wonderful visit from the lovely Alberta!  This time I chose to dress as myself... one of my favorite costumes to dress up in.  It's always nice to know that during the day, after a long week, you can always go back to being a regular, old gator.  Welcome home alumni!    

Ciao & Go Gata!

No comments:

Post a Comment