Tuesday, May 28, 2013

ironic.

GIORNO QUINDICI
Today Danielle and I planned on going running when we woke up, but instead we were greeted by a different surprise... not a great one at that.  The water wasn't working!  So, we had a power outage last night and absolutely no running water this morning!  We hit the jackpot.  And to top it all off (I haven't really mentioned this yet in my blog because it seemed unimportant, but now it is slightly comical with all these other add-ons), one of our two showers hasn't been draining since about... well... day 4(ish), so all eight of us have been camping out and showering in the world's tiniest shower in bathroom number two.  So in a nutshell, Danielle and and I decided NOT to go running this morning because we wouldn't have a shower to go with it.

=Happiness
Instead, we all chose to ditch the apartment and head to this bar... yeah you heard correctly, life was so tough that we resorted to a bar.  Just kidding... I mean we did go to a bar, but only because we heard that they sell bagels in the morning!  Which was 100% true!  Not only that, but The Lion's Fountain (the name of the bar) was such a cool place.  They have different college t-shirts hung from the ceiling with study abroad students' signatures all over them, writing on every surface of the wall, and a legit atmosphere... at least at ten-thirty in the morning.  I have to admit, it was a little awkward walking out of a bar before noon, but we seriously had bagels (the first ones I have seen in Firenze) plus it was totally worth it because I am pretty sure they were homemade and perfect.  After that, we returned to Caffe ChiarOscuro for the best vanilla cappuccino that ever existed before class started.  Seriously though, the BEST cappuccino ever.  No lie.  We hung out for a bit until twenty till noon and then walked by il Duomo for class.

I am definitely starting to enjoy Italian class a lot more than the previous two weeks because we are actually starting to learn new things.  Aside from reviewing the gerund that we learned last Thursday, today we learned indirect objects and types of clothes.  And I will be honest... I really like clothes.  I am not embarrassed to admit it.  I may have a problem.  Allora, I also am starting to like my teacher a lot more too.  Although I think of Marta more as a peer than a teacher compared to Alessia from UF.  Marta just is a lot sillier, younger, and just not teacher-esque, if you catch my drift.  She came along as a chaperone to Venice and she just is way cool.  I mean, I got a pretty awesome picture and here it is... yep, she is the one in the poncho.  Sometimes it is just fun to have a teacher that jumps into the goofy pictures with you and your friends.  No questions asked.  And she handed out tiny Nutella packs to us for answering questions correctly.  I could get used to this.  Bribery works... all you need is Nutella and people will practically do anything for you.  It is just a known fact.

After Italian, Carrie and I continued on to Wine Class.  It was pretty boring today.  Livia's hair was up... there was no letting it down.  But we focused on Toscana today, and tasted three wines from this region, including a Chianti "Sassocupo" from a vintage of 2009, a Rosso di Montepulciano "Sabazio," and a Vino Nobile di Montepulciano.  I really liked the first one, but the second two weren't my favorite.  I am still struggling with the whole "it smells like........." thing, but I get to taste wines, so I can't complain!

FAIL.
Dopo il lezione, Carrie e io sono andate a Conad comprare gli ananas! (After class, Carrie and I went to Conad to buy pineapples!)  I bought two because the prices are so good for pineapple there and it is my favorite fruit!  By the way... they taste better here.  Honestly, everything tastes better in Italy.  It could be EXACTLY the same and it would STILL without a doubt taste better in Italy.  It's just the way it is.  HINT: if you buy fruit in grocery store here, you have to weigh it yourself print out the price on a sticker from the weighing machine.  It is a little complicated, but it is better to do that than show up at the check-out counter holding pineapples in your hands ready to go, and be turned away.  That would be awkward.  Not like that happened to me or anything...  Anyway, to return to the topic of our faulty drain back at the apartment, I also bought some Draino-like substance (I know this seems random, but I will explain later).

After Conad, I walked to this sandwich place called The Oil Shoppe because I forgot to eat lunch and had a personal sandwich concocted just for me.  I put spicy salami, mozzarella, onions, arugula, and balsamic vinegar on it, and I even had it panini pressed.  It was the BEST sandwich I have had in Firenze yet.  It was delicious, reasonably priced, and a decent size.  Worth it!  Carrie wasn't feeling a sandwich, so she embraced her Spanish side and braved the chicken quesadilla from the restaurant across the street.  They cooked it in what appeared to be a crepe and topped it off with Cooler Ranch Doritos.  She struggled with it a bit, but finished it like a champ.

Back at the apartment I was pleased to find out that the water was back and ready to go, so I trudged right up to that drain with my Draino in hand, ready to take action when I noticed something different.  The shower looked wet and the drain had the top back on.  I tested the shower... and guess what?

Yep, the drain was working perfectly.  You guessed it.  The day I buy Draino (considering the drain has been faulty for a while now) someone already fixes it... "Isn't it Ironic, don't cha think?  A little toooo Ironic, and yeah I really do think..."  Well... now we have Draino?

Today has been pretty interesting, but I am already so excited for this weekend!  Chianti and the Cinque Terre!  I don't know what the plans are for tonight, but possibly going somewhere with the roommates.  I guess we'll see!

Ciao per ora!  Ci vediamo domani!      

I saw these locks on one of the bridges.  Couples lock them on the bridges, write their names on the lock, and then throw the key into the Arno.  Such a beautiful tradition!  Maybe one day (way way way in the future) I will have one up there too!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment